I am a husband and pastor who loves reading, sports, and humor. My family and I currently live in Hampton Roads, Virginia. My idea of a good night involves hanging out with my friends and family while while playing board games, watching a nationally televised sporting event, discussing theology, watching movies, and laughing. Just like everyone else, I consider myself unique.
A few random facts:
1. I love my wife (seems like a “duh” statement but you’d be surprised)
2. I live for Jesus (again — “duh”). DISCLAIMER: These facts are random. There is no discernible order of importance or correlation between these facts.
3. If I had to pick a grammatical team I would side with the “Oxford Comma” against the British and Associated Press comma usage.
4. My guilty pleasure is any movie starring Steven Seagal (or as the criminals on “Lawman” call him, “Mr. Steven”).
5. Some of my favorite books (outside of the Bible) include The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway), Prodigal God (Tim Keller), Simply Christian (N. T. Wright), Let the Nations Be Glad (John Piper), Confessions (Augustine), The Cost of Discipleship (Dietrich Bonhoeffer), The Pentateuch as Narrative (John Sailhamer), Dominion and Dynasty (Stephen Dempster), and the list goes on and on…
6. As the son of a musician I am a connoisseur of music ranging from folk (e.g., Avett Brothers, Mumford and Sons, Iron and Wine, Andrew Peterson) to hip-hop (e.g., Shad, Heath McNease) and covering much stylistic ground between (e.g, Arcade Fire, Jars of Clay, Andy Davis, Sara Groves, etc.). I am, however, completely unable to appreciate Southern Gospel.
7. I find it particularly distressing that there is no title for someone with a Master’s degree. I am not normally one for formal titles but with “Right Reverends” and “Reverend Doctors” floating around I am lobbying for people to call me “Master Pastor” or “Theology and Pop Culture Expert.”
If you have any questions, comments, concerns, quibbles, quandaries, or snide remarks feel free to contact me. I am available to speak at conferences, retreats, camps, and other venues.